So you want to build a new home or renovate your existing home. You need plans ? Yes, but that’s not all. There is a lot of work to do before plans can be given to a builder to quote on. The collective term for this work is preliminaries. In other words the work that has to be done before and after a set of plans are produced.
Preliminaries can include but are not limited to:
- A full contour survey of your property.
- Property I.D. survey. (The four pegs you see on each corner of a site.
- Finished height survey.
- Detailed measure of your existing house to be renovated.
- Design and preparation of concept plans.
- Soil test.
- Structural engineering details.
- Storm water and sewage design.
- Development approval.
- Energy efficiency report.
- Building approval.
As you can see there is a bit of work involved before we get to pull on the auld nail bag. Who looks after all this work? Well you can have a go yourself if you you love pain, or you can ask your builder to do it.
I hope this helps.